Saturday, January 19, 2013

Celebrate with us May 3, 4, 5, 2013

St. Gabriel's is planning a celebration that will be an event to remember in Titusville. Activities and events cover a range of three days, May 3-5, 2013. 

The festivities will commence Friday, May 3, with a service to commemorate the first service held in the church, during which the Right Reverend Gregory Brewer, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida, will perform a consecration renewal using liturgy from 1789.   Music will also be in keeping with what would have been used in 1888.   Period dress is not required, but it is welcomed.   A reception for descendants of area pioneer families will follow the service.

Saturday May 4 begins at 10 am with the reading of a proclamation by Mayor Tulley, a ribbon cutting and then renewal of wedding vows for any couple married in St. Gabriel's    The remainder of the day offers a host of activities including:  antique car show, tour of the church, walking tour of historic downtown, childrens' activities, bake sale, cake walk, period vendors, silent auction, displays by the North Brevard Historical Society, Canaveral Lighthouse and St. Gabriel's, and music, music, music.   There will be food abundant for lunch & supper(very reasonably priced).  A Saturday service begins at 5:30 pm.  In the evening we are pleased to be hosting Celery Street Band and there will be plenty of room for dancing.

Sunday morning May 5, regular services will be held at 7:30 am and 10 am, and all are welcome to attend.   An Ice Cream Social is planned for the afternoon(Hershey's Ice Cream) and a concert beginning at 1:25 PM featuring choirs from the historic churches in Titusville.  The celebration will conclude with a mass choir and closing approximately 3pm.

Details and times will be posted here as we draw nearer to the celebration.  

Follow our posts on this blog , "This Week in Titusville ......1888", excerpts from the "Florida Star" and take a glimpse into Titusvile news during the weeks preceding completion of construction and the first service May 31, 1888/